Slow Cooker Tomato Vegetable Soup is perfect meal for a cold Meatless Monday!
I’ve just started a new job so my cooking habits are undergoing an adjustment. What seems to be working is getting everything ready and assembled the night before so the first person home can put it in the oven OR using the slow cooker. When I use the slow cooker I get everything chopped the night before so in my mad rush to get out the door all I have to do is pour everything into the slow cooker and start it. I ADORE walking in the door after a busy day to the smell of dinner!!! If there’s any last minute additions I add them when I walk in the door and then after changing and setting the table dinner is on!! No racing around!!!
This Slow Cooker Tomato Vegetable Soup is a comforting soup to come home to. Peel and chop the potatoes the night before and cover with water. Also chop the carrots, onions, and garlic. In the morning spray the slow cooker with cooking spray and add the potatoes (drain the water before adding), carrots, onion, minced garlic, cans of tomatoes, vegetable broth, oregano, and basil. Put on the lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Prior to serving purée the soup with an immersion blender or transfer in small batches to a blender. Pureeing it makes it thick and creamy without adding any dairy product. At this point add okra if you want and cook an additional 30 minutes on high or serve the soup without okra.
- 4 cups potatoes (about 4), chopped
- 1 cup carrots
- ½ onion, minced
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp Basil
- 1 tsp Oregano
- Okra, optional
- Add all ingredients except okra to slow cooker.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours (high 3-4 hours).
- About 30 minutes prior to serving puree the soup with an immersion blender or by small batches in a blender.
- Add okra, if using, cover and cook on high for 30 minutes