A little sweet and a little spicy this Sweet Potato Soup is a warm your belly option for a cold Meatless Monday.
As the days grow shorter and temperatures colder my dinners turn towards warm, comfort foods and lots of soup. It’s kind of weird but for the 30+ years I lived in the colder climates of the East coast I did not like soup and almost never made it or even ate it. But as soon as I moved South 5 years ago I started craving, making, and eating soup! We usually have soup once a week now, what a change from once a year to once a week for 4 months!
This Sweet Potato soup combines the sweetness of the sweet potato with a bit of spice from paprika. The sweet potatoes are baked before adding them to the soup, if you are pressed for time you can use the microwave. Just before serving make the soup smooth by using an immersion blender (sometimes I think I make soup just to play with my immersion blender! But be careful or you will end up wearing the soup!) or smooth it by batches in a blender. Serve it with additional paprika so spice level can be adjusted to individual preference. Serve with a salad and bread or rolls for a satisfying cold weather meal.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup milk
- 2-3 medium sweet potatoes, baked
- ¼-1/2 tsp paprika
- Heat a pot over medium high heat and add the oil.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté until softened,5 minutes.
- Add the flour to the pot and stir for 1 minute. Add the vegetable broth and stir to combine.
- Add the paprika, milk, and sweet potato to the soup and stir to blend.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, then blend with an immersion blender.
- Continue to cook until ready to serve. (Longer you cook it the thicker it becomes)