Roasted Vegetable Lasagna combines the cheesy goodness of lasagna and makes it a little healthier by adding roasted vegetables.
Tom loves lasagna! It is the dish he asks for his birthday and whenever else he thinks I will be feeling like making him a special meal. I dislike making lasagna!! It is messy!! The first time I made Tom lasagna was shortly after we got married and it was a DISASTER!!! Somehow I managed to get sauce over every surface of the kitchen, including the ceiling, and every inch of myself!! Tom got home from work to find me crying… Over the years I’ve gotten better at making lasagna but it’s still not something I like to make so when I tell you I’ve made this Roasted Vegetable Lasagna 6 times this Fall/winter it should tell you it is really good.
The roasted vegetables can be a combination of any vegetables you have available, our favorite combination is eggplant and peppers. I roast the vegetables with garlic, oregano, and basil ahead of time and either keep them in the fridge or freeze them until I need them. Mix the roasted vegetables with spaghetti sauce and put half the mixture in a prepared baking dish. Layer lasagna noodles on top (I used oven ready lasagna noodles and it made my life so much easier!) than half of the ricotta and mozzarella cheese mixture. Cover with lasagna noodle and repeat layers. For the top of lasagna spread spaghetti sauce and cover with foil. At this point the lasagna can be baked, put in fridge for the next day, or frozen for future use. When you bake it remove the foil with about 20 minutes cook time remaining and sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top and return to oven to finish baking.
Delicious Meatless Monday meal that your family won’t notice the missing meat, plus it can be made ahead and frozen.
- 6 cups diced eggplant (about 3 medium)
- 2 cups diced bell pepper (about 3 medium)
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- Cooking Spray
- Box of Oven Ready Lasagna
- 15 oz part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 jar, 24 oz spaghetti sauce
- Preheat oven to 425. Line a jelly roll pan with parchment paper
- Vegetables should be a large dice. Mix together eggplant, peppers, garlic, oregano and basil. Pour onto prepared jelly roll pan. Spritz lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Mix ricotta with 1 cup of mozzarella
- In the bottom of a 9x13 pan sprayed with cooking spray place half the vegetables mined with ⅓ of the sauce. Cover with lasagna noodles.
- Cover the noodles with half the ricotta, mozzarella mixture. Layer lasagna noodles on top.
- Repeat layers: vegetables mixed with ⅓ of sauce, noodles, ricotta, noodles.
- Top the final layer of noodles with remaining sauce.
- Bake, covered at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake and additional 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and lasagna is heated through.
Roasted Vegetables may be prepared ahead of time and stored for a day in the refrigerator or frozen.
Lasagna may be assembled ahead of time and stored in freezer for a few days until ready to use or may be frozen.
Linked to: Healthy Living