Peanut Butter Whirligig Cookies are my FAVORITE cookie!!! Crisp peanut butter cookies with melted chocolate rolled in. Unbelievably scrumptious!!
Growing up my Gram made these Peanut Butter Whirligigs only at Christmas time and I couldn’t wait!!! The challenge was my Uncle Herb loved these cookies too and we would both try to consume as many as possible. Eventually my Gram started making us each our own batches of these cookies!!! BEST THING EVER!!! I didn’t have to share!!!! I make them every year now and it takes me back to those Christmases growing up. And I will confess, they are still my favorite and I am still not very good at sharing them.
The original Peanut Butter Whirligig Cookie recipe, the one my Gram used, called for shortening. I have replaced the shortening with butter and it does not noticeably change the cookies. The crisp peanut butter cookies are rolled out before baking and melted chocolate is spread on them. The cookies are quickly rolled up jelly roll style and chilled before slicing. There are several tricks to making these cookies without wanting to pull out your hair: chill the dough for about 20-30 minutes before rolling out the dough, roll out half the dough at a time and very quickly (quickly is key) spread the melted chocolate and roll the dough jelly roll style. Chill the dough but not too long, you want it slightly set but not hard, 20-30 minutes seems like the sweet spot. Slice the dough log into cookies and bake on a parchment covered baking sheet. The next part is the best part, ENJOY!!!!
What cookies were your favorite from childhood?
Peanut Butter Whirligig Cookies are crisp peanut butter cookies with melted chocolate rolled in. Unbelievably scrumptious!!
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 1 ¼ cup flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 6-8 oz chocolate chips, melted
- Combine butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and peanut butter. Mix until fluffy.
- Add egg beating in to mixture.
- Mix in flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Place mixture in refrigerator for 20-30 minutes.
- Dump half of the dough onto wax paper. Cover with another sheet of wax paper.
- Roll into a rectangle ¼ inch thick.
- Melt half of the chocolate and quickly spread on dough.
- Roll dough jelly roll style.
- Wrap and chill approximately 20-30 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining half of the dough.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Slice roll into ¼ inch slices.
- Place slices on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake 10-12 minutes.
Chill dough about 20-30 minutes before rolling out.
My Gram always rolled between 2 sheets of wax paper, it is a quick, clean, nonstick rolling surface and it helps when rolling into a jelly roll.
Spread melted chocolate over dough and roll up QUICKLY! Speed is critical!
Chill log of dough for about 20 minutes before slicing,