Peanut butter chocolate chip bar cookies covered with mini marshmallows and topped with chocolate frosting make up the deliciousness that is Peanut Butter Rocky Road Bar Cookies.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Bar cookies are a family favorite. I shared the recipe last week but I got to thinking about how delicious the cookie part is and wondered how else I could make them, because you really can’t have too many peanut butter and chocolate recipes. And then I remembered Rocky Road Bar Cookies. My Mom made Rocky Road Bar Cookies for Christmas when I was growing up with a tube of chocolate chip cookies and a box of frosting (think you added hot water and it was…ummmm, different) and they were pretty good. So I thought peanut butter chocolate chip cookies would taste good with marshmallows and chocolate frosting so these Peanut Butter Rocky Road Bar Cookies came into being.
The peanut butter chocolate chip bar cookie is the base for these decadent cookies. The cookies are a favorite because they have a slightly crisp outside while the middle is soft and filled with peanut butter and chocolate chips. After baking the cookies are sprinkled with mini marshmallows and a hot, chocolate frosting poured over the top. The result is a delicious melding of a cookie with the frosting of a cake, the best parts of both. The hardest part is waiting for them to cool before sampling them! But really try and wait, they cut easier and the flavors are better when they cool and have time to meld together.
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup wheat flour
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3/4 -1 cup chocolate chips
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp cocoa
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 375
- Grease a 13x9 pan
- Mix butter, peanut butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar.
- Add egg . Mix well.
- Add in flour, wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix until combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared pan. Spread to fill pan.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until cookie is golden brown.
- In a saucepan combine butter, cocoa, and milk.
- Heat over medium low heat, stirring until boiling.
- Remove from heat.
- Mix in vanilla extract and powdered sugar.
- Pour mini marshmallows over hot cookies.
- Immediately pour hot frosting over top of marshmallows, spreading to cover entire pan of cookies.
All Purpose flour can be substituted for wheat flour.
Mini marshmallows and frosting should be poured over cookies while cookies are hot.