It’s getting cold and Vegetarian Taco Soup is a perfect Meatless Monday meal for a cold night. Tomatoes, corn, beans form the bulk of the soup and when you add shredded cheddar cheese it is delicious!!!!
Until the last few years I was never much of a soup girl. I just didn’t enjoy it. It either burnt my mouth, dribbled down my face (o.k. maybe that’s just because sometimes I’m a messy eater but it turned me off of soup), or plain just wasn’t satisfying but last year I started to change my mind. I’m not sure if it’s an age thing, as I get older I find myself enjoying things I couldn’t conceive even eating when I was younger (vegetables being a prime example), or if I just am starting to make better tasting, more satisfying soups but whatever it is I suddenly like soup! I like it so much that I make it at least once a week from late Fall until early Spring. It’s weird but I’m trying to embrace the change.
Taco Soup takes the best part of a Taco- tomatoes, flavor, and cheese, and puts it into a soup. The tomatoes, beans, and corn provide enough flavor that you really don’t miss the meat. If you want extra heat use tomatoes with peppers or fire roasted tomatoes.
This soup couldn’t be easier. Soften the onion, peppers, and jalapenos . Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for at least 30 minutes or longer. Ladle into bowls and add shredded cheese. Easy and delicious!!! The leftovers make an amazing lunch!!
- ½ Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2-3 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed & chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 4 cups vegetable broth (can substitute Chicken broth if not Vegetarian)
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1 can beans, drained (kidney or black)
- 2 cups corn
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1-2 tsp chili powder
- Shredded Cheddar or Colby Jack Cheese
- In a Dutch Oven or large pot heat the olive oil over low heat. Add the onion, peppers, jalapeno pepper, & garlic.and cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add flour and stir for 1 minute.
- Slowly add broth, stirring constantly. Add remaining ingredients. Stir.
- Allow to simmer over low heat for 30 minutes or longer (longer it simmer the thicker the soup).
- When serving garnish with cheese.