Peanut butter and chocolate are a classic combination and one of my favorites so I am always looking for new ways to combine them. These delicious mini muffins do just that, combine peanut butter and mini chocolate chips into a muffin that perfectly balances the two flavors and has the added hidden boost of zucchini.
Mini muffins are the perfect size to add a touch of sweetness to breakfast or have as an afternoon snack. My sweet tooth can be satisfied with 1 (or 2 or 3) of them and I don’t feel like I’ve over indulged. Plus when you have an overabundance of zucchini these muffins are a different alternative to zucchini bread.
The recipe makes 36 mini muffins which can be a lot to have in your kitchen tempting you. I usually freeze half which gives the added bonus of always having something for breakfast in the house. Pull them out of the freezer a little before you want to eat them, they defrost relatively quickly. Or if you are impatient like me you can use the time defrost cycle on your microwave to speed up the thaw and then the regular microwave cycle for a few seconds to warm and you have a warm muffin with melty chocolate in seconds! Just be careful not to overdo on the microwave or it will get tough, ere on the side of caution and start a few seconds (about 30-45 seconds to defrost and 10 seconds to warm), you can always add more time if needed.
Enjoy and have a Sweet Morning!!!
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 cups zucchini, shredded
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 2/3 cup peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400. Line mini muffin tins or spray with cooking spray.
- Mix dry ingredients: sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and mini chocolate chips.
- Combine wet ingredients: melted butter and peanut butter until smooth. Then add vanilla, eggs, buttermilk and zucchini.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until the dry ingredients are just incorporated.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop batter into the mini muffin tins.
- Bake 10-12 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.