As long as we have been married (27 years) Tom has talked about “Ginger Puff Tea Cookies” as being his FAVORITE cookie ever. I had never heard of them or had them so I was of no help. I waited and waited for someone in his family to make them for him or to give me a recipe and it never happened. He had to satisfy his cookie craving with Sugar cookies or Spritz which were in no way related to the Ginger cookies of his memory. Finally this year I decided to make him a ginger flavored cookie and these Gingerdoodle cookies are the result. Flavored with cinnamon and ginger, rolled in cinnamon sugar and topped with walnuts these cookies are an adaptation of a Snickerdoodle cookies. I have to admit that I am not a fan of cookies that don’t have chocolate in them, I mean really is it even dessert if there is no chocolate, but these cookies are pretty good. The walnuts add a satisfying texture and the ginger and cinnamon just feel like Fall and Winter. Plus I get bonus wife points for making him cookies! What do you make for your significant other that you are ambivalent about?
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- ⅔ cup wheat flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cups finely chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp cinnamon sugar
- ¼ cup finely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375
- Mix the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla extract. mix well.
- Combine the flours, baking soda, salt, ginger, and cinnamon. Add and mix until combined.
- Stir in the walnuts.
- Scoop teaspoon size amount of dough. Roll into a ball. Roll each ball in the cinnamon sugar.
- Top each cookie with walnuts.
- Bake on parchment covered baking sheet for 10-12 minutes