My family LOVES Stromboli and I usually make it with lots and lots of sandwich meat. It tastes excellent but the sandwich meat is just not good for us. So continuing on my quest to make healthier meals I decided to make a Stromboli that was delicious but much, much healthier for us and so the Roasted Vegetable Stromboli was born!!! Chock full of vegetable goodness and melted mozzarella cheese it is a winner!! Perfect for a Meatless Monday Meal!!
The beauty of this recipe is it is totally adaptable to your tastes and what you have on hand- aim for about 4 cup of vegetables diced to a medium size. I used broccoli, eggplant, zucchini, and an orange pepper but add and subtract the vegetables to your taste. After the vegetables are roasted mix them with spaghetti sauce, again adjust it to your taste & add as much or as little as you like. I usually save some sauce and serve it warmed and on the side so people can add more if they like. I used homemade pizza dough but refrigerated pizza crust or a loaf of frozen bread dough (plan ahead & follow the package directions to make sure it is defrosted & ready to use) can easily be substituted- I’ve used all 3 options and each works.
This recipe will definitely be made again and again because even my Meat and Potato husband loves it!! If you are looking for a delicious, vegetable meal to convince your family to enjoy vegetables give this a try and have a Sweet Morning!!
- 2 cups eggplant, 2 medium
- ½ -1 cup green or red bell pepper, 2-3 medium
- 1-2 cups zucchini, 1 medium
- 1-2 cups broccoli florets
- ½- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- Cooking Spray
- Pizza Dough, (refrigerated, frozen bread dough, or homemade)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Spaghetti sauce, 1 jar
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Prepare a jelly roll pan by covering with a piece of parchment paper.
- Dice the eggplants, peppers, and zucchini,. Dice should be a medium size.
- Combine all vegetables and mix in the garlic, oregano, and basil.
- Pour onto a baking sheet
- Spritz with cooking spray.
- Roast for ~25 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Line a jelly roll pan with parchment paper.
- Stretch the dough into a rectangle the size of the pan.
- Mix spaghetti sauce with the roasted vegetables.
- Put the vegetables on half the dough.
- Cover vegetables with cheese.
- Fold the dough over the vegetables and seal the edges.
- Bake for 15-25 minutes or until golden brown and baked through,
- May be served with additional sauce.
Linked to: Merry Monday, Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Treasure Box Tuesday, Hearth and Soul Hop, Wonderful Wednesday, What’s Cooking Wednesday, Healthy Living Link Party, Friday Features, Foodie FriDIY, Foodie Friends Friday, Sundays Down Under, Inspire Me Monday, Lou Lou Girls Fabulous Party, Create & Share DIY & Recipe Party, DIY Recipe Linky, Think & Make Thursday, Idea Box