For the first 26 years of our marriage Tom had an absolute whiny fit any time I served a Meatless Meal. It didn’t matter if it was pizza without pepperoni or sausage, or pasta with no meat, or any other meatless meal. He didn’t like it and just wasn’t having it!!! Then all of a sudden this year something happened – not only would he eat a Meatless Meal but he was requesting them!!! We’ve been eating at least 1 and more often multiple Meatless Meals a week for the last several months!!!
This recipe has become a favorite. Roasted vegetables and melty cheese sandwiched between tortillas. Add a little salsa and yum!!!! Well mostly yum, last week when we had these I added too many of the seeds from the jalapeño!!! OUCH!!!!! My tongue was numb for about 10 minutes!!! But they were still so good I finished the last bite!!
A good part of this recipe is that it’s easily adapt – don’t have zucchini, leave it out, like another vegetable better, add it in. You can also make it as a large quesadilla with a tortilla on top or bottom or put the filling on half of a tortilla and fold to cover. Again, your call.
When it comes to baking you can do them in a frying pan or griddle like a grilled cheese – I never do it this way because I always fail when it comes time to flip and all the filling falls out! I prefer a quesadilla maker, panini press, or Foreman grill where there is no flipping involved!! But you use what you have and is easiest for you.
As always Enjoy!!! And have a Sweet Morning!!!
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1-2 green or red bell pepper
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 small onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- ½- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1-2 tomatoes, sliced (optional)
- 4-8 tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or colby jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Prepare a jelly roll pan by covering with a piece of parchment paper.
- Dice the eggplants, peppers, zucchini, and onion. Dice should be a medium size.
- Remove some or all of seeds from jalapeno (leave more seeds if you want it hotter)
- Combine all vegetables and mix in the cumin and olive oil.
- Pour onto a baking sheet
- Roast for ~25 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Can allow vegetables to cool or use hot.
- On a tortilla layer shredded cheese, roasted vegetables, sliced tomato if using, more shredded cheese, and a tortilla. Alternately place the ingredients on half of the tortilla and fold it over.
- Bake in a frying pan over medium heat, a quesadilla maker, or a panini press until cheese is melted and bubbly.